Patient Safety and Liability Protection
Medical liability protection necessitates that providers become well-informed about patient safety issues quickly and reliably. That’s why the federal Food & Drug Administration (FDA), medical liability carriers and medical societies partnered to develop the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) – a free service that has merged with the Health Care Notification Network (HCNN) to electronically deliver important FDA-mandated product-related patient safety alerts via a secure, dedicated online network.
BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York strongly supports the PDR because we believe that quick, targeted delivery of FDA-mandated product recalls and warnings have the potential to increase patient safety and reduce malpractice claims.
The FDA and other PDR partners have asked for our assistance in enrolling our physicians into an online network for patient safety notices. For that reason, we are encouraging you to enroll in this free, new service that has the potential to improve patient safety and enhance your liability protection.
The PDR has the following benefits:
- It is free and used only for patient safety notices (no advertising or selling data)
- It is faster and more efficient than current paper-based delivery of patient safety alerts, decreasing the risk of provider liability
- You can designate other office staff members to receive the same online alerts to facilitate patient follow up where needed
- You can opt out at any time
We are asking our entire physician panel to enroll today to receive FDA-related patient safety alerts online from the PDR. Go to www.pdr.net and click 'Register'. Enrollment takes only a few minutes.
- Your PDR User ID will be the primary e-mail address that you provide
- You will choose a password when you receive your first e-mail from PDR
Most importantly, the PDR e-mail advisories will replace the alerts currently sent by mail. You can learn more about the PDR at www.pdr.net.
Thank you for taking this important step and working with us to enhance patient safety and improve liability protection.