Primary Care Doctor
It’s best to contact your primary care doctor first for non-emergencies. They know your health history and can recommend the best course of action.
If you are feeling ill, visit your primary care doctor's website to set up a telehealth visit. If you have questions, contact them directly.
For an injury or illness that is not life-threatening:
- Sore throat
- Sinus infection
- Fever that responds to fever-reducing medication
- Ankle sprain or other muscle or joint strain
- Cough or cold
- Abdominal pain or other symptoms of a common illness
Telemedicine by Doctor On Demand®
If you do not have a primary care doctor, we're here to help. As a BlueCross BlueShield member, you have access to Doctor On Demand, a digital platform where you can schedule a health care visit with a board-certified physician.
To get started, download the Doctor On Demand app or view the step-by-step instructions on how to set up a virtual visit.
When faced with an urgent issue that’s not life-threatening, visit a local urgent care unit. This is a good option whenever you have a problem that can’t wait for a regular doctor’s visit. It is more cost effective than a trip to the ER and can save you time.
For an injury or illness that is urgent but not life-threatening:
- Cut or burn
- Minor broken bone
- Earache, sore throat, or headache
- Rash or other skin condition
Emergency Room (ER)
For an injury or illness that could be life-threatening:
- Chest pain
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Coughing up or vomiting blood
- Difficulty breathing
- Sudden dizziness, weakness, or change in vision
- Serious injury or broken bone(s)
- Severe headache
Member Support and Tips
Highlights of Your Benefits Related to COVID-19:
- No cost to members for COVID-19 diagnostic tests as prescribed by your doctor
- We encourage members to use your mail order benefit to obtain a 90-day supply of your prescription medication
- Home delivery available for up to 90-day supply of medication at one time
Telemedicine should not replace your primary care physician.
The Blue Cross®, Blue Shield®, and Cross and Shield Symbols are registered service marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans. Doctor On Demand® is a separate company that provides telemedicine services to BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York members. Doctor On Demand is a separate company that provides telemedicine services to BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York members.