Fresh Fruits and Veggies All Summer Long
The cool drinks and frozen desserts of summer can include high levels of sugar and sodium. Cool off with our healthy smoothie and smoothie bar recipes!
Summer is the perfect time to break out the grill! Use your grill to cook meats and vegetables instead of baking or frying. Grilled meats will have more flavor and a slight char. Vegetables on the grill will be fresher and maintain maximum nutrients.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Fresh or frozen bananas
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1% milk (or milk of choice)
- 3–4 cubes of ice
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare smoothie recipe as directed, without ice.
- Pour even amounts in a popsicle mold or small paper cups.
- If using a popsicle mold, close the lid and place mold in the freezer.
- If using paper cups, cover each cup with plastic wrap and insert a wooden popsicle stick in the center.
- Freeze until solid.
Note: Smoothies can be made with any fruit of choice.
Prepare and bring a fruit salad or fruit kabobs to your next gathering as a healthy alternative.
Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup fresh or defrosted strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or defrosted blueberries
- 1 cup granola
Scoop 3/4 cup yogurt into a bowl. Place 1/4 cup strawberries and 1/4 cup blueberries on top. Repeat using three more bowls. Serve immediately or chill to keep cold. Place 1/4 cup granola on each parfait before serving.
Lettuce Wrap Tacos
Makes 12 tacos
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Romaine or butter lettuce
- Taco seasoning
- Toppings as desired
Brown ground beef in a frying pan and drain grease. Season cooked beef with taco seasoning as directed. When assembling, substitute tortilla shells with a leaf of romaine, or butter lettuce.
Note: Ground beef can be substituted for shredded chicken, or ground turkey!
Makes 1 serving
- 1 large apple
- Peanut butter
- Chocolate chips
Wash and core apple, then cut into rings. Spread peanut butter on one apple ring and top with granola. Add chocolate chips and cover with second apple ring.