What is asthma?
Asthma is a disease that affects the lungs, inflaming and narrowing the airways. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 12 people have asthma; it is also the cause of 1.6 million emergency room visits annually. Asthma causes repeated episodes of wheezing, breathlessness, chest tightness, and night time or early morning coughing. It can be controlled by taking medication, using an inhaler or other breathing apparatus, and avoiding the triggers that can cause an attack.
Our asthma management program
The goal of the program is to provide members the education, tools and resources necessary to assist them in controlling their symptoms and increase their quality of life, while living with the condition. Our program offers members:
- Personalized educational material regarding asthma, including an asthma action plan
- Free, over-the-phone health coaching by our staff of registered nurses
- Physician communication (includes feedback through reporting, verbally, written and via the web)
- Web-based program information and self-management tools
- Personalized medication profile and wellness checklist to promote effective use of "controller" medications
- Preventive care techniques
Who is eligible for the program?
All members with a diagnosis of asthma are eligible for this program. Members can be identified for eligibility through:
- Out-patient medical claims
- In-patient hospital claims
- Pharmacy claims
- Members referred to the program by their health care providers
- Members enroll themselves in the program
To enroll, click on the button below, or call one of our case managers at 1-877-878-8785, option 2. Help is only a click or a call away.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- Asthma Coalition of Erie County
- Asthma Action Plan (English)
- Asthma Action Plan (Spanish)
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
American Lung Association
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
National Jewish Medical and Research Center
Contact Our Health Management Team
Speak with a case manager today! Call 1-877-878-8785, option 2.
Ready to Enroll in Our Program?
Did you know?
Members eligible to receive a Wellness Debit Card can redeem it towards gym memberships, at health food stores, and more. Find out where you can use your card today!