Statement on Novel Coronavirus
BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York is following the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the novel coronavirus. The emerging, rapidly evolving situation was first detected in Wuhan City, China and now has been detected in 50 locations internationally, including cases in the United States.
BlueCross BlueShield is prepared to help members get the care they need in the event they are tested or treated for the Coronavirus. In addition, the company is ready to assist the medical community in their preparation for this illness and to adapt to the needs of our communities.
Take actions to avoid catching or spreading illness:
- Stay home if you are sick. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often, and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces.
- If you aren’t feeling well and have telemedicine with your health plan, use it before making an in-person appointment. BlueCross BlueShield members with Doctor on Demand have access to care at their fingertips.
- Call your provider before seeking treatment in person.