Statement From BlueCross BlueShield of WNY President and CEO Dave Anderson
Region’s leading health plan Waives All Member Out-of-Pocket Costs for Coronavirus Testing and Treatment
Reflects Gravity of Pandemic and Commitment to Members, Providers and Community
“In light of these unprecedented times, we are announcing that BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York is eliminating any and all costs for our members related to COVID-19 testing and treatment. This includes our nearly 500,000 Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, and fully insured Commercial members. No co-pays, no cost-shares, no-coinsurance on the part of our members will be required effective April 1 through May 31, 2020. This includes any testing, care or treatment provided anywhere in the United States for our members."
“We’ve been here for our members for more than 80 years, and we want them to know that we are here for them now. In these unprecedented times, BlueCross BlueShield remains committed to supporting the health of our members, those providing this essential care, and our community. As part of that commitment, we’re taking this significant action so that our members have access to diagnosis and treatment as needed. We are here for our members.”
David W. Anderson
President and CEO
The company’s announcement today builds on its overall efforts to connect members to care and support the community during this time. BlueCross BlueShield is:
- Eliminating prior authorization requirements for COVID-19 testing and treatment;
- Covering the full cost of COVID-19 testing and the care visit where the test is given;
- Covering the full cost of COVID-19 treatment regardless of where care is being provided in the United States; (BlueCross will also implement this policy for self-funded customers who elect to offer this coverage.)
- Covering the full cost for all telehealth services, including those that are not related to COVID-19;
- Authorizing 90 day mail order benefit for refills of all applicable prescriptions, allowing members to remain in their homes as much as possible;
- Donating $100,000 to the Western New York COVID-19 Community Response Fund to address the most critical and immediate community needs related to the coronavirus as well as other efforts;
- Dedicating a team, personally reaching out to members to offer support during this time of uncertainty;
- Providing timely information and updates for members, employer groups and providers online
Additionally, BlueCross BlueShield is taking every effort to keep its more than 1,500 employees healthy. The local health plan transitioned its workforce to work-from-home arrangements while maintaining uninterrupted lines of communication and support for members, doctors, hospitals, and the community.
BlueCross BlueShield is closely monitoring this evolving situation and will continue to make decisions that are in the best interest of their members.