The use of ICD-10 will:
- Improve the ability to measure health care services.
- Enhance the ability to monitor the population's health.
- Provide better overall data and decrease the need for supporting documentation when submitting claims.
What is different from ICD-9?
ICD-10 codes will differ from ICD-9 codes in length and structure. In addition:
- ICD-10 codes contain more detail about conditions, injuries and illnesses
- Include the concept of laterality
- Use combination codes to describe conditions and associated symptoms
- Use updated language and terminology
View billing instructions for Emergency Room/Observation/Ambulatory Surgery Units