Flexible Spending Account FAQ

Yes. Your FSA can be used to cover expenses incurred by you or any member of your family claimed as a dependent on your tax returns.

You’ll have an additional period of time (a run-out period) after termination to submit claims for reimbursement. You can only be reimbursed for services provided while you were employed, unless you continue contributing to your FSA plan through COBRA.

You’ll have until the end of the plan year to submit your dependent care expenses incurred during the plan year, as long as you were working or seeking work during the time you’re incurring expenses.

The IRS states that you’ll lose any money left in the account after the plan year run-out period. This is the "use-it-or-lose it" rule.

At the end of the plan year, you will have a run-out period to submit claims for expenses incurred on services provided during the plan year. Check with your employer for dates.

Generally, you cannot change your election amount until the next enrollment period. You may change your election during the plan year only if there is a status change. A status change typically includes marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child, death of a family member or an employment status change for yourself or your spouse.

No. You may only be reimbursed for expenses incurred before your child's thirteenth birthday.

You may not claim any other dependent care tax benefit for the tax-free amounts you receive through this plan. You may, however, claim expenses not reimbursed through your FSA.

The full amount of the medical election amount must be made available to you on the first day of the plan year. This requires that reimbursements from the plan be paid in advance of contributions. Dependent care funds, however, can only be reimbursed up to the amount already set aside in the account. Advance reimbursements for dependent care are not allowed.