BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York - 90-Day Fitness Membership Program member FAQs
90-Day Fitness Membership Program Member Frequently Asked Questions
We're pleased to offer the 90-Day Fitness Program to eligible members and we encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to improve your physical fitness and personal health.
The following information should answer any questions you may have about the 90-day fitness program. If you have additional questions, please call Customer Service at the number on your identification card.
What is the 90-day fitness program membership?
When you enroll in the 90-day fitness program, you receive a basic 3-month membership at a participating fitness club which includes:
How much does the membership cost?
- Open access to the participating fitness facility for 90 days.
- Two fitness assessments - One at the start of the membership and one during the last two weeks prior to membership expiration.
- Orientation session(s) providing you with information regarding general equipment use and safety, basic fitness principals (warm-up, exercise, and cool-down), consultation to help you design a workout program and set personal goals that you can expect to achieve if you adhere to program requirements.
You pay a $25 copayment to the fitness facility when you enroll in the 90-day program. Any additional costs associated with any programs, classes, equipment, or services that are not covered under the basic 3-month membership are also your responsibility.
Who is eligible for the 90-day program?
How can I participate in the program?
- Members and their covered dependents who are enrolled in the Community Blue HMO 100 series or Community Blue HMO 100 Plus series of products are eligible for the 90-day fitness program.
- Members with Traditional Blue indemnity, PPO, POS or EPO coverage will receive the benefit only if your employer group has purchased a rider to provide this benefit.
- Call Customer Service at the number on your identification card to verify whether you receive the fitness benefit.
How can I find out which health clubs participate?
- Go to a participating fitness facility, show your BlueCross BlueShield identification card and fill out the appropriate paper work. You must present your ID card to enroll at the facility.
- You pay a $25.00 copayment to the fitness facility upon enrollment.
- Your 90-day membership begins once you have completed the paperwork.
- BlueCross BlueShield will reimburse the facility upon program completion (the facilities/instructors have agreed to bear costs prior to program completion). If you are not an eligible member throughout the 90-day period, BlueCross BlueShield will not reimburse the facility and you will be responsible for paying an additional $75 for the membership.
for an up-to-date list of participating health clubs.
Are there any other program requirements?
Why should I consider the program?
- You may only participate in this membership program once every calendar year.
- While there is no minimum weekly attendance requirement for the program, we do encourage members to engage in physical activity 2-3 times each week to reach their fitness and healthy lifestyle goals. Documenting progress through a beginning and final fitness assessment is also recommended.
There are many health benefits of exercise and being physically active such as lowering your risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes; giving you more energy and better sleep; and improving your mood.
Taking advantage of this fitness membership program will help you take an active role in getting fit and staying healthy and give you the skills to make healthier choices and meet the standards for exercise.
Am I required to make a deposit?
NO. Previous fitness programs may have required a deposit but the current program does not require a deposit from members to participate.
What is a fitness assessment?
A fitness assessment helps determine your current fitness level so you may set a reasonable goal for improving or maintaining your fitness level. The following are some of the components of a fitness assessment:
I currently have a health club membership. Can I enroll in the 90-day program?
- Body composition such as, body mass index, waist-to-hip ratio or body fat analysis
- Flexibility assessment
- Cardiovascular (aerobic) endurance assessment
- Muscular strength and endurance assessment
Each facility will establish its own guidelines for current members and possible membership extensions, or dues waivers. Most facilities will add three months to your current fitness membership after being reimbursed by BlueCross BlueShield.
What happens if I am injured or unable to participate for medical reasons?
Most facilities will suspend your membership if proper physician documentation validates your injury. You can typically resume your remaining membership after you are physically able to resume. Specific policies are established by each facility.
What do I do when my 3-month membership ends?
The participating fitness center offers memberships with yearly or shorter terms - check with the facility directly to see what is available. No discount or benefit is available through your HMO 100 series coverage for a continuing membership.
Each participating fitness facility sets up discounts or incentives for members to join their facility once they complete the 90-day fitness program. You may also access discounted fitness facility memberships through our fitness discount program. All Community Blue and Traditional Blue members are eligible for fitness discounts.
Do I have to join the facility after the 90-day program ends?
No. Members do not have to join a facility to receive any or all the benefits of the 90-day fitness membership program. We encourage each member to make that decision on his or her own. We expect each facility to sell the benefits of a lifetime as a physically active adult. We hope all members either join for a longer membership or pursue an active lifestyle independently.
Am I allowed to take other fitness/exercise programs through the BlueLife Health Education and Wellness program?
Yes, you can attend the BlueLife health promotion programs depending on your specific eligibility for these programs. The 90-day fitness program does not limit any of your ability to participate in BlueLife programs.
To receive information on BlueLife programs related to exercise, nutrition and weight, call the Customer Service phone number on the back of your card and ask for the Healthy Body pamphlet. Or click here
for BlueLife class listings.
Why only a 90-day program? Why not 6 months or 1 year?
Physical activity and a lifestyle change require knowledge and self-motivation. Research has shown that the first 90 days of a new fitness program are the key to long-term lifestyle as a physically active adult. The fitness assessment and information presented to each member are designed to help everyone make this change. We hope members will continue to stay active either in a fitness facility or as part of their personal daily routine. The responsibility for a lifetime of health is a shared effort that each individual must choose to follow.